THE FRANCISCAN HOSPICE
Centro de Acogida, San. Francisco de Asis
Pla. De Vernisa s/n
46724 PALMA DE GANDIA
Tel. 96 280 8923 (Spanish only spoken)
(C.I.F. G – 96811971)
All nationalities and creeds are accepted. This wonderful place is a refuge of love and charity. When there’s so much bad news in the world, a visit here restores your faith in human nature. It is unique. Although it’s called a Hospice, it’s a hospice in the Mediterranean sense. Not all the residents are terminally ill, although some are. It’s a cross between a UK hospice, a nursing home and a refuge for the homeless.
The original accommodation and facilities were extremely basic and fell well short of modern standards. The Original Charity Shop and Library worked on an ambitious fund raising project to help the brothers complete a new nursing facility and home next to their existing buildings. Plus fundraising to supply the electrical sub-station, needed to allow the new home to be put into use. What has been achieved from nothing is truly miraculous. This now allows the brothers to give even more men a home and nursing care. The Franciscans need money on a regular basis to continue their work in the existing home.
The refuge needs are quite specific:
- Clothing (all sizes – new or secondhand): Track suits, particularly bottoms (preferably non-iron), T-shirts, underwear, soft pajamas and socks (not white). Underwear means pants and vests.
- Bedding for 90cm beds: Plastic mattress protectors (incontinence). Flat sheets and fitted under sheets with (preferably) matching pillowcases (flannel or brushed cotton), blankets (warm and washable).
- Toiletries Opened and part used are accepted: Disposable razors, shaving foam, shampoo, shower gel and skin creams (many patients
- The hospice can always use long life milk, pasta and a lot of cheese and olive oil. These should be unopened and in-date.
- Household: Bath towels (not white), bleach, toilet paper, washing-up liquid, large bin-bags.
- Donations of unused medicines are also accepted at the shop.
Franciscan Refuge Transformer Appeal
On behalf of the Brothers and Residents of the Franciscan Refuge, we thank the friends and families of the following deceased, who kindly donated to Refuge in lieu of flowers for their loved ones’ funerals.
- Rutter Thomas Clark 350 euro
- Grace Sprooles 391 euro
- Trevor Palethorpe 432 euro
- Cris Ingham 300 euro
- Margaret Hale 463 euro
- Jacqui Jagger 235 euro